Here are the seven largest venture capital investments in the country last year. Notice a trend?
1) Nanosolar Inc. (San Jose, CA) $299,999,700 - Produces solar electricity through solar-cell technology.
2) Solyndra Inc. (Fremont, CA) $219,277,800 - Designs and manufactures photovoltaic technology for solar energy.
3) SolarReserve Inc. (Santa Monica, CA) $140,000,000 - Develops utility-scale renewable energy solar power plants.
4) OptiSolar Inc. (Hayward, CA) $132,000,000 - Manufactures photovoltaic modules and produces power.
5) Range Fuels Inc. (Broomfield, CO) $130,000,200 - Develops cellulosic ethanol production technology.
6) BrightSource Energy Inc. (Oakland, CA) $115,000,000 - Develops utility-scale solar power plants.
7) AVA Solar Inc. (Fort Collins, CO) $103,999,800 - Manufactures thin-film photovoltaic (PV) modules.