Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tell me more about universal health care. Please.

This was the start of a conversation I had with the customer service rep of our health care provider, which has suddenly become reluctant to pay one of our big medical bills.

Me: Hi, I'm calling because I just got a letter from the hospital, saying you're refusing to pay a $14,000 medical bill for my family. They're now asking me for the money. As you can imagine, I'm quite concerned here.

Health care company rep: What's your account number, and the date of service?

Me: It's...(I give her the number, and the date of service).

Health care company rep: Sir, I don't see what you're talking about. I only see a charge of $13,999.30 on that date.


I kid you not. That's how the conversation started. It went downhill from there...