Friday, September 26, 2008

Dude, who needs a dealer when you can get it from the faucet?

So my son had his tonsils out a couple of weeks ago. He's better now, but he had a ton of hard core drugs left over. As tempting as it was for me to keep his vicodin, I didn't (I'm much more of an oxycontin man, myself). My original thought was to flush the stuff down the toilet. But it turns out that sewer treatment plants aren't equipped to handle pharaceuticals, and the drugs eventually seep back into the drinking water supply (or into local lakes and streams). In fact, according to the Associated Press, the drinking water of 46 million Americans, "contain minute concentrations of pharmaceuticals, including antibiotics, anti-convulsants and mood stabilizers." No exact word on what it does to wildlife. (I do admit, though, that I'm intrigued by the whole mood-stabilizer-in-my-drinking-water thing. In fact, I've been making quite a few more trips to the faucet, glass in hand, since learning of this.) Next week, California is even kicking off a "Don't Flush Your Drugs" week. People are advised to drop off their old prescriptions at collection centers, or throw them in the trash. (The garbage truck has already picked up my vicodin.)