Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pushing 300,000 miles


Here's the odometer on the Mercedes. (If you can't read the number, it says 293, 165.) During the cross-country trip I took with my buddy Iggy, powered solely by fry grease, I met with one of the big biodiesel muckety mucks at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden Colorado. No fan of straight veggie power, he told me that I was shortening my engine's lifespan by going grease. Does that mean it won't live to reach 500,000 miles?

He suggested I switch to a mix of 80 percent petro diesel, and 20 percent biodiesel to power the car. Let's just say that the folks over there aren't exactly swinging for the fences when it comes to creating new energy solutions. You can read about the whole encounter--and how a dog peed on my leg the next day--in Greasy Rider. (Release date is now a mere five weeks away!)